Check for full text in PubMed can be activated in two ways, by accessing PubMed through a special URL or by setting up My NCBI to access Check for full text.
Accessing PubMed through a special URL
- Access this Monash University PubMed special URL (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?otool=iaumullib)
- Do your search.
- Click on the title to display the selected citation in abstract format. Check for full text button should now display at the top right of the abstract.
1. The PubMed link listed on the A-Z databases uses this special URL.
2. A user accessing PubMed through this special URL is not signed into personal My NCBI.
Setting up My NCBI to display Check for full text
*You only need to set this up once.
(Register for a My NCBI account if you do not have one.)
- Sign in to My NCBI. You may need to click on My NCBI (next to your username) again to display your My NCBI page.
- Click on NCBI Site Preferences (top right).
- Click on Outside Tool (under PubMed Preferences).
- Click on M (A to Z list)
- Click on the radio button next to Monash University Check for full text.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on the Save button.
If you wish to change the default search result display to abstract format, go to NCBI Site Preferences and under PubMed Preferences, click on Result Display settings and then the radio button next to Abstract (under default format) and then click on Save button.