What's in this guide
EndNote is a database tool that:
- stores bibliographic details of the material that you have read for your assignments and theses
- imports details of material that you have found, in the library catalogue and other databases and catalogues
- automatically creates citations, references and bibliographies for your assignments in your required style
- support and/or integrates with common word processor and file formats eg RTF, HTML, etc
The latest version of EndNote (X7) is available for download from the Obtain EndNote tab for Monash staff and students.
EndNote Online is the web-based version of EndNote. EndNote Online has similar, but more restricted, functionality than the standard (desktop) version. In addition, EndNote Online provides:
- access to EndNote libraries from anywhere
- synchronization of EndNote desktop libraries to enable working between computers
- for sharing of libraries with other researchers.
Refer to the EndNote Online Basic and Advanced tabs in this guide for further details.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR NON-MONASH USERS:
EndNote is commercial software. Monash University cannot make copies available to you. The manufacturers of EndNote are Thomson ResearchSoft and the Australian distributors are Crandon Services Pty Ltd.
On your computer (Windows): Start > All Programs > EndNote > Getting started guide (PDF 96pp)
- Support & Services
- EndNote toolbar in Word
- System requirements and compatibility
- EndNote forum
EndNote Web can also be used to share libraries
New update available
EndNote X7 for both Windows and Mac has received a major update to version 7.2. Be sure to run the "check for updates" option from within the program.
Managing citations and references
It is important that you understand how citations and references are used in academic writings.
The library has produced an online guide to citing and referencing which includes examples of different types of references and styles.
EndNote quick start kit
Guides from endnote.com (PDFs open in new window):
Library EndNote training:
- Top tips for using EndNote (PDF 111kb)
- EndNote X7 tips for Mac users (PDF 2.2mb 21pp)
- EndNote X7 program interface (PNG image 431kb)
- EndNote X7 program navigation bar (PNG image 30kb)
- EndNote tab in Word (PNG image 80kb)
- EndNote program keyboard shortcuts (PDF 28KB)
- EndNote X7- Adding styles and filters after installation (pdf 293kb)