The fourth and fifth steps in the EBP process are Apply and Assess.
Apply is a crucial step as this is where you apply or integrate the evidence in relation to your patient or practice issue.
Always keep in mind the main tenets of EBP:
- Best available research evidence
- Patient values
- Your clinical expertise
- Your specific practice context
Assess (or Audit) involves reflecting on steps 1-4 and evaluating your performance.
Self-evaluation can take many forms, but some questions you might like to reflect on include:
- Am I asking a focused clinical question?
- Am I using the best available evidence (or the highest level of evidence)?
- Have I performed my searches effectively in databases?
- How appropriate are the studies to my patient or specific context?