Skip to Main Content

Copyright and Monash Professional Development Education Courses: External resources

A guide for academic staff.

Text and images

Text from books or journals

If you want to reproduce scholarly articles or chapters, this may require payment depending on the policy of the publisher.

  • One short course at Monash paid $521 for one article for 21 students for one iteration of the course, but prices vary.

Many scholarly publishers have outsourced their permissions to Copyright Clearance Centre. You would need to register for an account and fill in an online permission form. You can obtain a quote for how much each permission would cost before accepting.

Sometimes different versions of the articles are available directly from open access repositories, academic social media or the author’s own website. Consult with the library staff about finding open or alternative resources.

Text from websites

You may be able to reproduce text from websites depending on the terms and conditions of the site. These are usually to be found in a link at the foot of the website under ‘copyright’ or ‘terms of use’. If you are unsure, please contact the copyright adviser .


  • Many images available online were not placed there by the copyright owner and may breach copyright.
  • If there is no photographer or source listed this is often an indication that the image is unauthorised. The course should not contain these sorts of images.

You may not be able to find the copyright owner of an image because it loses its identifying information after being replicated online. If you have any questions about the provenance of images please contact the copyright adviser .

  • Try to use images from reputable sources like libraries, universities, institutions and museums. Creative commons and public domain images are to be preferred. Some sources for these images are listed on the Copyright free and Creative Commons images guide. There are stock photo sites that are copyright free or Creative Commons Zero. These are useful if you do not want to have to cite the images.
    • NOTE Creative Commons Non-commercial images can’t be used in courses which are being sold to other institutions.
  • An alternative to free images is to purchase a stock photo subscription. This can be a shortcut if you have specific requirements. Check with MEI for Monash’s existing subscriptions.

Figures from scholarly journals can be very expensive.

  • For example one Monash MOOC had to pay $AUD235 for a single image that the author of the MOOC had created themselves in their article.
  • Another journal wanted $US600 for a single figure.

Artists collecting societies can sometimes grant licences for use of artworks in a course. For example Monash obtained a worldwide licence for one painting for one year’s use $AUD160 plus GST, 3 years at $AUD320 plus GST or 5 years at $AUD480 plus GST.


If you are using screenshots from an AV source such as a film or video, the same considerations would apply as using the actual video source. A single screenshot or image from a film or TV show or YouTube video is still protected by copyright as an image and would require permission.

For help finding resources appropriate for your course, contact your liaison librarian .


  • Sourcing appropriate music needs to be considered at an early stage as there are only limited amounts of free or low cost music available.
  • Any music used as background in the course would need permission.
  • For a list of free or low cost resources see the Copyright free or Creative Commons Music. Beware of restrictive licence terms that mean music can’t be used in the course, e.g. non-commercial use only.
  • Commercially produced music or top 40 material has multi-levels of permission needed, which is very time consuming and tends to be expensive.
  • Production music may be a cheaper alternative. It is composed especially as background music and can be obtained from the collecting society APRA/AMCOS .

For help finding resources appropriate for your course, contact your liaison librarian .

If you need permissions for any copyright material for your course, please contact the copyright adviser .


From YouTube, Vimeo etc. (openly accessible online resources)

If you want to use existing YouTube, Vimeo or other online videos make sure the video is authorised, i.e. put online by the copyright owner.

This may not be easy to determine. Check whether it is uploaded by:

  • a TV channel (e.g. BBC)
  • by the organisation that created it (a university, company or organisation e.g. Khan academy, TED talks)
  • or is on an authorised channel, e.g. Monty Python have their own channel.

Often 'institutional' videos are the best option here. If something is uploaded by JoeBlow64 it is less likely to be authorised. Monash might need to seek permission from that institution to get the footage directly to avoid the platform (e.g. YouTube) terms and conditions. See How do you know if a YouTube video is legitimate? (DOCX, 24kb) for more information

Using already existing footage may mean linking to it because the terms and conditions of YouTube and Vimeo require streaming not downloading.

From DVDs

Using video from existing DVDs requires permission. This will usually involve payment.

For example, a three year licence for one piece of footage from a DVD cost Monash US$100.00 per minute, or US$50.00 for a clip 30 seconds or under (minimum fee per clip).

From TV recordings

If you want to use video from recordings you have made from TV, the Educational copyright licence won’t apply. You would need permission for TV recordings in the same way as other audiovisual material. This can be expensive.

An example from another institution was around $AUD1000 for 20 seconds of BBC material.

From online databases accessed through the library/requiring a Monash Account

  • If you want to reproduce videos from a resources which require a Monash account such as EduTV or Alexander Street Press, you will need permission.
  • It may be possible to get permission, but there will be costs for this.
  • It may also take a long time as there will be many rights-holders to be contacted.

For help finding resources appropriate for your course, contact your liaison librarian .

If you need permissions for any copyright material for your course, please contact the copyright adviser .