Remember anybody can put anything on the web and there are many hoax and parody sites to beware of, as well as sites with inaccurate information and strong bias. Do not use resources from the open freely accessible web for University essays and assignments, unless you have evaluated the authority of the site
Some things you need to consider:
- Who is the author of the website - have they any expertise in the area?
- Does the web site draw on other people's expertise - does it refer to any academic resources - journal articles, theses, conference papers, educational websites, official sites etc.
- What is the aim of the website? Why is it there? Who is it aimed at? Is there bias?
- Is it written at an appropriate level for an academic assignment?
- Is the content current and relevant?
Read this document for further information:
Complete this tutorial which will equip you with the tools to evaluate information and determine the quality of the resources found on the internet.